Lorry blocking route to Colchester high street
- Credit: tom Ward
A jack-knifed lorry in Colchester is blocking the road to the High Street.
The articulated lorry is currently creating a blockage in Butt Road, heading towards Head Street and Colchester town centre.
The crash was spotted around 7.15am by residents in the area, where the lorry’s cab was left turned more than 90 degrees to the left of the shipping container it was hauling.
As a result of the crash the lorry had also struck the brick wall at the front boundary of the terraced houses in the street.
The route is used by commuters and buses travelling in from the south of the county and has caused delays in the town during the morning rush hour.
Essex Police were at the scene and have closed a section of Butt Road to traffic so that the lorry can be moved safely.
Two officers were seen at the site of the incident and drivers were directed to use other routes to the town, causing tailbacks near Abbeyfields and on the B1022, Maldon Road, heading towards St John’s roundabout.
- 1 'I thought he was going to Ipswich' - rival boss reveals Blues interest in right-back
- 2 25-year-old left eating disorder clinic prior to death on A14
- 3 Will Suffolk have a white Christmas this year?
- 4 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Norfolk
- 5 New Ed Sheeran Christmas song with Elton John out this week
- 6 'Quirky and memorable' name for new café and visitor centre revealed
- 7 The Ipswich Town players who could force their way into Cook's thinking during cup break
- 8 Norwood on target as Town Under 23's sting Hornets
- 9 Essex Sainsbury's car park cordoned off after police incident
- 10 Aston Villa loanee Louie Barry is the forgotten signing at Ipswich Town... he'll be hoping to get his chance this week
No time for the road to be cleared has been given.