Warning after candle sparks destructive house fire in Great Notley
- Credit: ESSEX COUNTY FIRE AND RESCUE SERVICE
Two families have been left homeless after a fire believed to have been started by a candle destroyed their houses.
Firefighters were called to a blaze at a semi-detached property in Ploughmans Lane, Great Notley, near Braintree, around 6.50pm yesterday.
A neighbour called 999 and alerted the occupant after spotting smoke coming from the roof, fire officials said.
When the first fire crews arrived they reported that the whole roof was on fire.
The flames spread to the neighbouring property.
You may also want to watch:
One woman who suffered slight smoke inhalation and minor burns was left in the care of the ambulance service.
The blaze was extinguished by 9.40pm.
- 1 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 2 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-2 draw at Cambridge
- 3 2,000 patients visit A&E because they are feeling depressed
- 4 'I'll never shut up shop' - Cook on 2-2 draw at Cambridge United
- 5 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-2 Cambridge draw
- 6 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 7 Town get home draw in FA Cup First Round as ex-Blues head to Sudbury
- 8 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 9 Covid vaccine boosters now available at walk in sessions
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: J Block gang members and man who attacked train station staff
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service sent five vehicles: two from Braintree, one each from Coggeshall and Chelmsford and the aerial ladder platform from Colchester.
Watch Manager Stuart Hay said: “The house where the fire started has suffered severe damage to its roof and first floor. The adjoining house has suffered damage to their roof and some water damage. Both houses have been left uninhabitable.
“The fire is thought to have been started by a candle. It is very important to take extra care when using candles, and we urge everyone to read our candle fire safety advice:”