Car fire delays traffic
TRAFFIC heading westbound towards the Orwell Bridge early on Sunday was delayed by a car fire.Firefighters were called at about 8.15am as the car caught fire shortly after it passed the Shell fuel station near Bridge Wood.
IPSWICH: Traffic heading westbound towards the Orwell Bridge early yesterday was delayed by a car fire.
Firefighters were called at about 8.15am as the car caught fire after hitting debris in the road near the Shell fuel station at Bridge Wood.
A police spokesman said the Renault Clio had hit a piece of exhaust on the westbound carriageway and spun around, hitting a crash barrier.
The engine had then burst into flames but the female driver from Rendlesham - the only occupant of the vehicle - had been able to walk away from the accident without injuries.
You may also want to watch:
One lane was blocked and the second lane was closed by police and fire while the blaze was put out - but the road was soon partially reopened.
By mid-morning the wreckage had been cleared away and the road was fully reopened.
- 1 Ipswich Town face fight to keep young midfielder Gibbs with rivals Norwich among interested clubs
- 2 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Portsmouth 'fend off' Blues to agree Stockley deal
- 4 Woman seriously injured in accident on major Ipswich road
- 5 'Spooky' bushes full of caterpillars spotted near Suffolk roads
- 6 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 7 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'consider £350k bid' for keeper
- 8 'Absolutely the right manager for this football club' - Ashton backs Cook to turn Town around
- 9 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 10 Cyclist hurt in crash with car
Engineers from the Highway Agency were called to ensure the barriers at the side of the road had not been damaged by the accident.