Suffolk care homes enjoy ‘wonderful’ sports day challenges
- Credit: Lucy Taylor
Staff and residents from 11 Suffolk care competed in traditional sports day events including tug of war.
The Care UK sports day was held at Mills Meadow in Framlingham was also attended by representatives of Suffolk County Council and featured a World Cup-style penalty shootout.
Competitions included a sack race, three-legged race and egg and spoon race, with the grand finale being a tug of war.
Residents then enjoyed a barbecue prepared by the home’s chefs before an Olympic-style awards ceremony to crown the day’s winners – Hartismere Place.
Marie Reeve, home manager at Mills Meadow, said: “The Suffolk sports day is always a highlight for residents and care teams alike, and we were delighted to host this fantastic event once again.
You may also want to watch:
“We are fortunate to be part of a strong care home community here in Suffolk, and days like today are a brilliant opportunity to bring everyone together for a day of fun, laughter and to celebrate the year’s achievements. This year’s event did not disappoint, it was wonderful to bring everyone together and see the residents and care teams working together and making new friendships.”
Glastonbury Court’s home manager, Sharlene Van Tonder, who helped organise the event, added: “The annual sports day is always a highlight for us, as not only is it a fun opportunity to compete in light hearted games and events, but it also provides both physical and mental benefits for residents. It offers a valuable opportunity to bring older people in the area together, increase social interaction and reduce loneliness.
- 1 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 2 Car stranded in ditch after crash near Bury St Edmunds
- 3 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 4 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 5 'There are a million pundits... it becomes tedious' - Cook on Portsmouth trip
- 6 North Stander: Nowhere near good enough at this stage of the season
- 7 Woman sexually assaulted near Ipswich Waterfront
- 8 3,000 children test positive for Covid in Suffolk over 10 day period
- 9 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 10 Suspected drink driver arrested after cyclist killed in collision
“I would like to say a huge thank you to all of the Care UK homes for taking part, and to everyone at Mills Meadow for letting us host the event at their home – we’re already looking forward to next year.”