Suffolk Wildlife Trust to hold Carlton Marshes celebration day this Saturday (before the football!)
- Credit: Archant
A celebration to mark the first step in the journey of creating 1,000 acres of wildness in the Broads is being held at Carlton Marshes near Lowestoft at the weekend.
In April it was announced that the Heritage Lottery Fund had decided to award £4,063,000 to realise Suffolk Wildlife Trust’s vision of a landscape-scale nature reserve at the gateway to the Broads National Park.
Following the grant and the enthusiastic response to a £1 million match fundraising campaign, the Trust will take ownership of the new land - a parcel of 348 acres surrounding Carlton Marshes - early in July.
To mark the completion of the purchase, which means the Trust can now begin to build a new visitor centre and start what will be the most ambitious habitat creation project seen in the Broads for more than a decade, a celebration day will be held on Saturday July 7th.
Matt Gooch, Suffolk Wildlife Trust’s Broads Warden, who has been at the forefront of the public campaign, said: “Buying the land is the culmination of a tremendous effort by so many people across Suffolk and beyond, and our Wild Day Out on July 7th is a chance for everyone to share in the excitement of the land purchase.
You may also want to watch:
“I would like to invite you to join us at any time from 11am to 3pm to hear more about our plans for the reserve from the Trust team who will be leading the project and to thank you for your part in making it happen.”
As well as the opportunity to explore the reserve, there will be a wide range of nature activities for adults and families including an exhibition of wildlife photography from Carlton Marshes.
- 1 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 2 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 3 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 6 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 7 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 8 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 9 Cook believes Ipswich are 'biggest and best' club in League One
- 10 Suffolk man arrested after motorcyclist killed in crash