Centre praised for its flagship architecture
- Credit: Archant
The green credentials and cutting-edge design of Sudbury’s new £10million health centre have been singled out for praise, with one respected local artist describing the building as a “truly flagship piece of modern architectural design”.
As the public were given a first glimpse of the inside of the facility at an open day on Saturday, first impressions were mostly favourable.
Robin Drury, a respected local artist and designer who has worked on several projects in the town, praised everything from the building’s sweeping curved structure to the energy-efficient heat exchangers and planted roofscapes. He said: “For the NHS to depart from its standard blue/grey steel and glass carton design and allow both the architects and local influence to govern the end result deserves much praise.
“Just for once Sudbury has come by a truly flagship piece of modern architectural design.
“This is a building that lifts the spirits and must go a long way to helping the medics set their patients on the road to recovery.”
You may also want to watch:
Ed Garratt, chief operating officer at NHS West Suffolk Clinical Commissioning Group, said the centre had been created with the health of patients and the environment in mind.
He added: “Although many people won’t physically see many of the green aspects of the building, patients and staff can benefit from the CCG’s commitment to being as environmentally friendly as possible.
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 3 Jeffers set for Ipswich Town coaching role
- 4 'The honour of my life' - Chambers' message to Town fans after departure confirmed
- 5 'The manager has to impose his will... we'll give him the resources to do that' - Detmer on Cook's transfer funds
- 6 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 7 Exit Interview: Farewell to Ipswich Town's most iconic player of the last decade
- 8 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 9 Delays continue on A12 after lorry rolls in crash
- 10 Murder accused storms out of witness box after admitting stabbing his ex
“The Sudbury Community Health Centre is a landmark building in the area, providing vital healthcare services.
“Everyone involved in the project was determined to make every aspect of the building the very best it could be. I believe we have achieved that.”