Charlie Haylock relaunches Sloightly on th' Huh! book after The Dig success
Charlie Haylock's best-selling book, "Sloightly on th' Huh! ", is being relaunched by Countryside Books on the back of the success of The Dig which has put the sound of Suffolk into the national consciousness.
Charlie Haylock was the Suffolk dialect coach for star Ralph Fiennes, who played the principal role of Basil Brown in the Netflix film, while also coaching the other "Suffolk" actors including Basil Brown's wife played by Monica Dolan.
Charlie was also responsible for "Suffolkating" the script to include Suffolk grammar and vocabulary.
Charlie said: “There has been such great interest shown in the Suffolk dialect, both in Suffolk, and further afield, that we have decided to relaunch of "Sloightly on th' Huh!"
The book takes an affectionate look at the Suffolk dialect, was first published in 2004 and was an immediate Suffolk best seller.
You may also want to watch:
"Sloightly on th' Huh!" means "on the slant", "not quite straight" and had the honour of officially entering the Oxford English Dictionary in September 2017.
The book entitled "Sloightly on th' Huh!" includes a Suffolk vocabulary dictionary, a chapter on things that are peculiar to Suffolk, a section on Suffolk humour and many other Suffolk gems.
- 1 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 2 'We'll see how we go' - QPR boss Warburton on Bonne recall option
- 3 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 4 Suspected drink driver flees scene after car destroyed in crash
- 5 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
- 6 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
- 7 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering serious leg injuries in crash
- 8 Delays of 80 minutes following A12 crashes
- 9 Ipswich Town players' FIFA 22 ratings revealed
- 10 Ndaba on Salford, Neville's advice, his brush with Ronaldo-mania and his goal of reaching the Ipswich Town first-team
The book is available in all good bookshops.