Clacton: Children’s arcade Magic City to re-open after fire
- Credit: Andrew Partridge
A POPULAR children’s amusement arcade had to be evacuated yesterday after a fire broke out in a ceiling void.
Crews spent more than two hours tackling the flames which spread to the first and ground floors of Magic City in Clacton.
The fire was spotted coming out of the building by a member of the public who was walking outside.
Appliances from Clacton, Weeley, Frinton and an aerial ladder platform from Colchester were sent to the scene in Pier Avenue at about 4pm.
Owner Billy Peak said the venue, descibed as “a children’s adventure playground,” was evacuated straight away and nobody was injured.
You may also want to watch:
He said a section of the adult arcade area and part of the first floor had been damaged by the flames but the majority of the venue was unaffected and would be open for business this morning.
Mr Peak said: “A woman walking outside saw the fire coming out of the building and went and told a member of staff inside who called the fire service.”
- 1 Ipswich Town lead the chase to sign Luton skipper Sonny Bradley
- 2 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 3 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
- 4 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 5 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 6 New rickshaw taxi service starts in town
- 7 Passenger falls off motorbike on A134
- 8 'Mass of smoke' billows from roof in house fire
- 9 Farm to use renovated rail carriages as holiday lets
- 10 Kesgrave shooting: Trial set to start as boy, 16, denies attempted murder
He said he received a phone call telling him a fire had broken out at Magic City and returned to the site immediately.
The venue contains bouncy castles, ball pools, slides and a licensed bar and restaurant.
Mr Peak added: “It was a bit of a shock but nobody was hurt and it happened in the day time. Had it happened at night there’s no telling what would have happened.
“The fire brigade have been very good and were here very quickly.”
The fire was extinguished by 6.20pm but two crews remained at the scene into the evening to damp down remaining hot spots.
An investigation will be now be carried by out Essex County Fire and Rescue Service to establish the cause of the fire which is not being treated as suspicious.