3,000 extra GP surgery places could be created in £1.5m move
- Credit: Archant
Up to 3,000 extra GP surgery places could be made available for patients in Clacton when two practices move into a refurbished medical centre in a £1.5million investment.
Frinton Road Medical Practice, in Holland-on-Sea, has previously been dubbed “no longer fit for purpose” and “in need of full refurbishment” by members of its own patient participation group.
Along with Epping Close Surgery in Clacton, it will move into Kennedy House, in Kennedy Way - with £1.5million being spent on a revamp which will see the creation of eight consulting rooms, seven treatment rooms, a phlebotomy room and a digital facility.
NHS Property Services, which is managing the project alongside several others across the country, said: “The surgeries currently have a total of almost 9,000 patients, but the new facility could support 12,000 patients.”
Simon Taylor, head of portfolio optimisation at NHS Property Services, said: “At a time when the NHS is facing challenges never seen before, these projects will be integral in helping to support the health service moving forwards.
You may also want to watch:
“By using the estate more efficiently, over the coming years we can provide better quality spaces for the provision of healthcare, which will improve patients’ experience, as well as create better environments for healthcare professionals to deliver care.”
When the project was first announced earlier this year, Dr Ed Garratt, chief executive of the NHS North East Essex CCG, said: “This is fantastic news for people in east Clacton and brings to an end years of uncertainty around the future of GP services in the area.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 3 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 4 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 5 Portsmouth 0-4 Ipswich Town: Blues deliver Cook's biggest win as boss
- 6 'Our most complete performance of the season' - Cook on 4-0 win at Portsmouth
- 7 Former Suffolk school leaders found guilty of professional misconduct
- 8 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 4-0 win at Pompey
- 9 Family pay tribute to former Suffolk headteacher who has passed away
- 10 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
“I am especially excited by this redevelopment as it brings a range of exciting opportunities in providing services in the future.”
Clacton MP Giles Watling added at the time: “This is truly welcome news and will further improve services for residents.
“I have worked closely with the CCG and know that Dr Garratt and his staff are committed to delivering the best services possible.”