Clacton man jailed for minimum of 18 years for murder of Danny Myers in St Osyth
- Credit: ESSEX POLICE
An addict has been jailed for a minimum of 18 years after he stabbed a man through his heart in a “senseless attack”.
Friends and family of Danny Myers wept and hugged each other after hearing his killer Kevin Paddick, 34, was jailed for life at Chelmsford Crown Court yesterday.
It follows a four-week trial which heard Paddick murdered Mr Myers, stabbing him so violently the kitchen knife went eight centimetres into his body.
Paddick, formerly of Rosemary Road, Clacton, had denied murdering his former friend, insisting he acted in self defence after Mr Myers came at him with a knife.
But a jury at Chelmsford Crown Court found him guilty of murder on Tuesday.
Sentencing back at the court yesterday, His Honour Judge Charles Gratwicke gave Paddick a life sentence, and ruled he must serve a minimum of 18 years behind bars before he is released.
He said: “You were convicted by the jury of the brutal killing of Danny Myers.
- 1 Uproar as plans put in to turn Suffolk pub into vets
- 2 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
- 3 Burglar jailed for break-in at Stowmarket dental practice
- 4 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 5 Stu says: Six observations following Papa John's Trophy exit to Arsenal U21s
- 6 Parish council concerned about plans for new A14 service station
- 7 Friends speak of 'spiking' in market town and advise others: 'be careful'
- 8 West Suffolk's Covid rate rises to become highest in county
- 9 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 10 Former Town defender McGreal returns to club in coaching role
“As a result of your senseless actions, Danny Myers has lost his life. But that is not all.
“His parents have lost a son, his brother his only brother, his son and unborn child have lost a father.
“I have no doubt that the consequences of your actions will live with them all for a long time to come as they struggle to come to terms with the void that has been left by the killing.
“I sentence you to a period of life imprisonment, with a minimum of 18 years before you can apply for parole.”
Paddick murdered Mr Myers at a property in Rochford Road, St Osyth, on March 20 after an altercation broke out between their girlfriends.
Mr Myers was stabbed three times, with the slash to the heart proving fatal.
In a victim impact statement, Mr Myers’ father Roy said: “We feel like our hearts have been ripped out and there is no purpose to my life.
“Our son’s life was taken and the person who took it is still alive and will likely still be in many years.
“Danny was loved by all of us, and has a young son and another baby due soon.
“Danny was vibrant, graceful, gentle and was so loved.
“Life will never be the same as we will never see our beautiful boy.”