Clacton-on-Sea: Firefighters tackle conservatory fire

Fire engines were called to a blaze that started in the kitchen of a thatched property

Fire engines were called to a blaze that started in the kitchen of a thatched property - Credit: Archant

A garden bonfire which spread to a neighbour’s conservatory was tackled by firefighters.

Two fire engines were called to a bonfire out of control in the back garden of a house in Anchor Road, Clacton-on-Sea, at around 3.40pm today.

The fire spread to the conservatory and the fence of the house before a neighbour’s conservatory also caught alight.

Essex County and Fire Rescue Service sub officer Karen Nicoll said: “If you are having a bonfire in your garden make sure it is well clear of buildings, garden sheds, fences, hedges and overhanging branches. Keep bonfires to a manageable size and evenly built so that they collapse inwards as they burn.”