Clacton: Voters set to turn out to choose the Conservative candidate for next month’s by-election
- Credit: Archant
Voters in Clacton are having their say this evening on who should represent the Conservatives in the Clacton by-election next month.
Anyone registered in the constituency – not just Tory party members – can vote as two councillors battle it out to be selected.
The use of an open primary was confirmed by the party last week.
It has been seen as a move in response to the shock defection of sitting MP Douglas Carswell to UKIP a fortnight ago, and his selection as the candidate for his new party despite Roger Lord already being chosen.
Giles Watling, Tendring district councillor for Frinton, and Sue Lissimore, Colchester borough councillor for Prettygate, are the two possible options for voters.
The event takes place at Clacton Town Hall from 6.30pm tonight, when the candidates will introduce themselves and answer questions before people vote.
You may also want to watch:
It is hoped the successful candidate, who will go on to contest the Parliamentary by-election on October 9 for the Conservative Party, will be announced at around 8.30pm this evening.
A number of senior Conservative Party members have been out canvassing today, including former education secretary Michael Gove who led a group of 30 MPs around Clacton and Frinton.
- 1 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 2 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues linked with goalkeeper and coaching move for former loanee
- 4 Car on its side in middle of roundabout after crash outside Haverhill Tesco
- 5 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 6 'Next season we'll have a right go' - Roberts on Fleetwood win and Chambers' future
- 7 Matchday Recap: Lightning start for Town secures Fleetwood win
- 8 Biker breaks collarbone in swerve to avoid car on wrong side of road
- 9 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 10 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
• Keep checking the EADT website for updates on the primary result.