Classic day out to help a good cause
The fifth running of the successful South Suffolk Classic, organised by West Suffolk Motor Club and Eastern Counties Motor Club, is being held on Sunday, May 12.
The event will raise money for the East Anglian Air Ambulance and will again be sponsored by Kerridges of Needham Market and Wasteresources.co.uk
The route will be about 95 miles and the time schedule will be flexible enough for those taking part to decide whether they wish to take their time and enjoy the facilities of the checkpoints or motor on and get to the show in time for more of the attractions there.
This year the event will start from Jimmy’s Farm in Pannington Hall Lane, near Wherstead (IP9 2AR), home of the Essex Pig Company and owned by Jimmy Doherty. There will be a chance to have a brief look at the rare breeds there and use the cafeteria. A tea or coffee will be available to all taking part, compliments of the organisers.
From Jimmy’s, entrants will travel via a scenic route, including the Shotley Peninsular, to the first checkpoint which is Ipswich Transport Museum home to a collection of more than 100 major transport and engineering objects made or used locally.
From the transport museum the route continues via many places of interest to Pakenham Water Mill which dates from the late 18th century. The last working water mill in Suffolk, millers have been using the technology of water power to produce stone-ground wholemeal flour.
Tea rooms are available at both checkpoints.
- 1 Car seized as driver tries to avoid parking fees at Stansted Airport
- 2 Matchday Live: Needham Market v Ipswich Town team news and updates
- 3 Rogue trader in white van visits homes in west Suffolk
- 4 Mapped: Where parasite dangerous to dogs has been reported in Suffolk
- 5 Ipswich Town appoint new Academy Manager
- 6 Lane on A14 reopens after severe delays on Orwell Bridge
- 7 A14 westbound closed after car catches fire
- 8 Project to keep Suffolk pub 'protected for years' turned down
- 9 Road closed as emergency services attend two-vehicle crash
- 10 'Eyesore' Suffolk seafront hotel for sale for £2million
The run will once again finish at Ampton racecourse, venue for the South Suffolk Show, where all the activities associated with a major regional agricultural show will be available.