Closure order on Leiston house after two held over arson with intent
- Credit: Archant
A closure order has been made on a Leiston house after two men were arrested on suspicion of arson with intent to endanger life following a fire at the property.
The pair are a 19-year-old from Woodbridge and a 39-year-old from Diss.
An application to prevent access to the premises in Crown Street was made before Ipswich magistrates today.
It came after complaints of alleged disorder and criminal behaviour which has caused serious issues for neighbours.
Kerryn Woollett, who made represented Suffolk Constabulary in court, said the male tenant of the building had previously been served with a notice to vacate the property by December 5.
You may also want to watch:
However, he had moved out of the house on October 21 - four days before a fire broke out last Sunday - and was now living elsewhere.
Magistrates were told there had been complaints from neighbours in relation to the premises and police had dealt with crimes involving the property.
- 1 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 2 Town take up contract options on duo with plenty of departures still expected
- 3 Chambers and Skuse set to be headline exits on day of departures at Ipswich Town
- 4 Mark Heath: The Town players Cook should keep and release today
- 5 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 6 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 7 Chambers and Skuse to leave Ipswich Town
- 8 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 9 New cocktail bar and tapas restaurant to open in Ipswich
- 10 Search for man after girl, 10, accosted at B&M store in Stowmarket
Ms Woollett said: “On the balance of probabilities there has been disorder or criminal behaviour which has resulted in serious nuisance to residents living in the area.”
The court heard that the agency which lets the house was confident it could find new tenants if an order could be made for no one to enter the house until December 5 except representatives of the agents.
Sergeant Mark Beresford, of the Leiston Safer Neighbourhood Team, said he had secured a notice to the house on October 28. The front door and back door have been boarded up. The notice has also been put on the rear gate, shed and an outbuilding in the back garden.
The evicted tenant had been informed of the developments when he attended a police station on yesterday.
On Sunday around 20 firefighters were sent to house at around 4.25pm after a blaze broke out.
Initially two fire crews, one from Leiston and another from Aldeburgh, were sent. Subsequently another crew from Saxmundham was called as it was thought that someone could have been inside the house.
Anne-Marie Breach, a spokeswoman for Suffolk Constabulary, said: “Two men have been arrested on suspicion of arson with intent to endanger life following a fire at a home in Crown Street in Leiston.
“Enquiries were made following the incident and the two men – a 19-year-old from Woodbridge and a 39-year-old from Diss – have been arrested in connection with the blaze.
“Both have been interviewed and have now been bailed to return to police on January 6, pending further enquiries.
“Officers are asking anyone with information about the fire to contact Suffolk Coastal CID by dialling Suffolk Police on 101 and quoting crime number 10860.”