Colchester: Crews tackle kitchen fire

FIRE chiefs have issued words of advice after a kitchen fire.

Two crews were called to Abberton Road, Finringhoe, to tackle the blaze at 12.23am.

Neighbours had called the fire service after hearing the smoke alarm in the property opposite their house.

Firefighters arrived to find the property completely smoke-logged and used a hose reel jet to put out the flames by 12.50am.

A high-pressure fan was then used to ventilate the property and a thermal image camera to check for any remaining hotspots.

Following the fire in the kitchen, Assistant Divisional Officer Chris Noakes said: “Our firefighters attend hundreds of fires a year which originate in the kitchen.

“Cooking is one of the major causes of fires in the home and even the smallest kitchen fire can cause devastation to your home and leave loved ones injured or even killed.”