Colchester: Ex-patients and staff take farewell tour of former Severalls mental health hospital
- Credit: Archant
Patients and staff at North Essex Partnership said their final farewells to Severalls Hospital in Colchester last week.
More than 100 people took tours of the closed facilities, organised by North Essex Partnership, which offered a last chance to reminisce about their memories of the site.
Those who attended had the opportunity to walk around the Severalls estate for the last time accompanied by tour guides.
Visitors on the tour wrote farewell messages on a commemorative wall which will be photographed and preserved.
Director of resources at North Essex Partnership, Rick Tazzini, said: “Severalls Hospital was opened 100 years ago and in its early years, up to 2,000 people were treated here.
You may also want to watch:
“It was a community with its own infrastructure and facilities. It even had its own bakery.
“Treatment for mental illness has come a long way – we now provide treatment for 20,000 people across North Essex, with more than 95% receiving care in their own homes.”
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Jeffers set for Ipswich Town coaching role
- 3 'The manager has to impose his will... we'll give him the resources to do that' - Detmer on Cook's transfer funds
- 4 'The honour of my life' - Chambers' message to Town fans after departure confirmed
- 5 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 6 Former judge's widow on trial for sex abuse of young boy in 1980s
- 7 Woman taken to hospital after being hit by car
- 8 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 9 More than £23k raised in memory of mum who died 2 days after giving birth
- 10 Hospital waives car parking charges for 'those who need it most'