Cooking oil fire in Colchester leaves one man with burns
- Credit: Archant
Essex Fire and Rescue were called to house in Colchester at 9pm on Thursday night after reports that a pan of oil had caught fire.
A spokesman for the service said: “On arrival firefighters found that the homeowner had taken the pan off the hob and moved it to the garden, burning his arm in the process.
“Firefighters smothered the pan to ensure the fire was fully extinguished and treated the man for a small burn.”
Essex Fire and Rescue have provided some safety advice following the fire.
Cooking fires can be volatile – so it’s vital you follow our advice and get to enjoy that meal you’ve been looking forward to without putting yourself at risk.
You may also want to watch:
•Be careful if you’re wearing loose clothing – it could catch alight.
- 1 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 2 Family pay tribute to former Suffolk headteacher who has passed away
- 3 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 4 A14 roundabout lanes remain closed as burst water main repaired
- 5 Stu says: He's ours now! The pick-pocket and cheese-gate - Town's 4-0 win
- 6 Portsmouth 0-4 Ipswich Town: Blues deliver Cook's biggest win as boss
- 7 'Our most complete performance of the season' - Cook on 4-0 win at Portsmouth
- 8 'Managers don't get enough credit' - Walton delighted as Town deliver big win for boss Cook at Pompey
- 9 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 4-0 win at Pompey
- 10 Two Suffolk homes 30 miles apart struck by lightning
•Keep tea towels and cloths well away from the hob.
•Never leave cooking pans unattended. If you need to leave the room, take them off the heat or at least turn them down.
•Make sure saucepan handles aren’t sticking out or in awkward positions where they could be knocked over.
If you’re cooking with oil:
•Make sure food is dry before putting it in the hot oil, so it doesn’t splash.
•If the oil starts to smoke – it’s too hot. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool down.
•Use a thermostat-controlled electric deep fat fryer. They can’t overheat.
•If your pan catches fire, turn off the heat if it is safe to do so. NEVER throw water over it.
When you’ve finished preparing your meal, double-check the cooker or hob is off.
Remember – if a fire breaks out in your kitchen… Get out, stay out and call the fire service out.