Family of five left homeless after ‘hair dryer’ blaze destroys flat

Two families have been left homeless after a fire broke out in Colchester Picture: ESSEX COUNTY FIRE

Two families have been left homeless after a fire broke out in Colchester Picture: ESSEX COUNTY FIRE AND RESCUE SERVICE - Credit: ESSEX COUNTY FIRE AND RESCUE SERVICE

Two families have been left homeless after a fire sparked by a hair dryer tore through a first floor flat in Colchester.

The blaze destroyed much of the house Picture: ESSEX COUNTY FIRE AND RESCUE SERVICE

The blaze destroyed much of the house Picture: ESSEX COUNTY FIRE AND RESCUE SERVICE - Credit: ESSEX COUNTY FIRE AND RESCUE SERVICE

Firefighters from Tiptree and Colchester were sent to the blaze in Smallwood Road, Colchester, following reports of a fire in a bedroom.

When they arrived at the scene, after being called at 4.30am today, they discovered the whole flat was thick was smoke and around 50% alight.

They later found the blaze had been started by an electrical fault in a hair dryer.

The three crews worked quickly to bring the fire under control, putting flames out and clearing the flat of smoke within an hour.


You may also want to watch:


However, the flat was badly damaged and a family of five are no longer able to live there.

The flat below also suffered water damage, and a further two adults have also been made homeless as a result.

Most Read

Watch manager Richard Lark, of Colchester fire station, said: “Although we never want to see someone lose their home, thankfully everyone escaped without injuries.

“The flat had working smoke alarms, which is the easiest way to protect your whole family from fire and give you time to get out, stay out and call 999.

“Following an investigation we believe the fire was caused by an electrical fault with a hair dryer.

“Take a look at our electrical safety advice to reduce your risk of having an electrical fire.”

• Visit the Essex County Fire and Rescue Service website for more information.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter