Colchester: Kitchen blaze triggers fresh warning over dangers of being ‘blasé’ when cooking
- Credit: Archant
A kitchen blaze tackled by firefighters in Colchester this morning prompted a fresh warning over the dangers of being “blasé” when cooking meals.
The fire broke out in a ground-floor flat in Stonecrop at around 6.45am today. It was put out shortly after 7am and no injuries were reported.
Neil Fenwick, divisional officer at Essex County and Fire Rescue Service, said more fires start in the kitchen than in any other room and warned cooking is the most common cause of fires in the home.
Last year, some 56% of Essex house fires broke out in the kitchen and cooking was responsible for five fires a week.
Mr Fenwick said: “We know that cooking is an everyday activity but it is still not something people should be blasé about and requires your full attention.
“Just a moment’s distraction is all it takes for a harmless spot of cooking to turn into a potentially devastating fire.
“We know how easy it is to become distracted in the kitchen, busy family lives, phones, tablets, computers and television combine to make people lose their focus in the kitchen and that is when potentially deadly fires can start.
- 1 Village hall treasurer jailed after stealing cash to help his business
- 2 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 3 Push for 4 day work week in Suffolk after company's profits soar 200%
- 4 Two Suffolk beaches named among best in Britain for a winter walk
- 5 When loans go permanent: Town's hits and misses when keeping hired hands full-time
- 6 'Incredible' Downes tipped 'to play at the very top'
- 7 Meet the man who has documented the entire history of a Suffolk village
- 8 Hazel O'Connor's Sudbury shows cancelled due to 'serious medical incident'
- 9 Road near A14 closed after 'serious' two-vehicle crash
- 10 Star Suffolk breakfast blogger reveals her favourite food around Ipswich
“Make sure that you do not let distraction turn you into the killer in your kitchen.”