Colchester: Man and woman charged with assault on baby
- Credit: Archant
A man and woman have been charged after a 10-week-old baby girl was found with serious head injuries and injuries consistent with a sexual assault.
Police were contacted by Essex Social Care after the child was admitted to Colchester General Hospital on Saturday, August 10.
Following an investigation lead by Essex Police Child Abuse Investigation Team, a 31-year-old man and a 23-year-old woman are each charged with three counts of causing grievous bodily harm with intent relating to serious head injuries and injuries of a sexual nature.
The man and woman are also jointly charged with two counts of attempted rape on the baby and both are charged with neglect causing unnecessary suffering.
They were remanded in custody to appear at Colchester Magistrates’ Court tomorrow.
You may also want to watch:
Senior Crown Prosecutor Michelle Brown, from the Crown Prosecution Service East of England, said: “These are very serious charges. The man and woman are entitled to a fair trial and nothing should be reported which would prejudice that trial.”
- 1 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 2 Town take up contract options on duo with plenty of departures still expected
- 3 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 4 Chambers and Skuse set to be headline exits on day of departures at Ipswich Town
- 5 Mark Heath: The Town players Cook should keep and release today
- 6 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 7 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-1 win against Fleetwood
- 8 Chambers and Skuse to leave Ipswich Town
- 9 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 10 Queen writes to Lily, 5, in reply to condolences card