Colchester: Man fined for false cancer cure product claims on website
- Credit: PA
A man claiming to sell a cancer cure has been fined £750 following an investigation by Essex Trading Standards.
Steven Cook, 54, was charged under the Cancer Act after suggesting Colloidal Silver was a treatment for the disease.
Cook, of East Road, West Mersea, pleaded guilty at Colchester Magistrates’ Court on Friday September 12.
He runs a website selling various products containing silver including “Ultimate Colloidal Silver”, a liquid made at his home.
Trading Standards said during its prosecution that claims on the website implied the product cured cancer, which is illegal.
You may also want to watch:
Magistrates imposed a fine of £750 and ordered him to pay £1,500 costs.
Cook has now updated the website and removed any claims that colloidal silver can cure some cancers.
- 1 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 2 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 3 Chambers and Skuse set to be headline exits on day of departures at Ipswich Town
- 4 Car on its side in middle of roundabout after crash outside Haverhill Tesco
- 5 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues linked with goalkeeper and coaching move for former loanee
- 6 Mark Heath: The Town players Cook should keep and release today
- 7 'Next season we'll have a right go' - Roberts on Fleetwood win and Chambers' future
- 8 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-1 win against Fleetwood
- 9 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 10 Photos released in connection with two indecent exposure incidents
Roger Walters, Essex county councillor for Trading Standards, said: “Trading Standards’ advice to people who are considering whether to take any substance not prescribed for a medical purpose, either preventative or as a treatment, is to consult their doctor first.
“I hope the public feel safer knowing that Essex Trading Standards will take action where traders are trying to sell products which are neither medically proven nor safe.”