Colchester MP backs National HIV Testing Week
Sir Bob Russell has given his support to an HIV charity at the beginning of National HIV Testing Week.
The Colchester MP visited the town’s Terrence Higgins Trust centre in the Hythe in a bid to encourage more people to get tested for the virus.
He toured the centre and spoke to staff and volunteers about the work the charity does.
Sir Bob said: “It is unacceptable that one in five people with HIV in the UK do not know they have the virus.
“Tests are quick and easy and take just 15 minutes. There are no more excuses not to get tested and I’m thrilled to be at the Terrence Higgins Trust in support of National HIV testing week.”
You may also want to watch:
Adam Wilkinson, regional manager for Terrence Higgins Trust in the East of England, said: “We’re thrilled that Sir Bob Russell is helping us to raise awareness.”
National HIV Testing Week was started by Terrence Higgins Trust and HIV Prevention England in 2012 in a bid to reduce high levels of undiagnosed and late-diagnosed HIV in England.
- 1 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 2 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues linked with goalkeeper and coaching move for former loanee
- 3 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 4 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 5 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 6 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 7 Car on its side in middle of roundabout after crash outside Haverhill Tesco
- 8 The end of an era as Suffolk's last Debenhams store closes
- 9 Matchday Recap: Lightning start for Town secures Fleetwood win
- 10 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
In 2012 there were an estimated 3,871 people living with HIV in Anglia and Essex, one in five of whom remain undiagnosed and therefore more likely to pass the virus on unwittingly.
For more information on Terrence Higgins Trust’s services in Colchester contact 01206 798595 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.