Colchester: Play cancelled after actor caught up in M25 closure
- Credit: Archant
THEATRE-goers in Colchester were turned away from an evening performance after an actor was held up in traffic.
A member of the cast of The Hired Man at the Mercury Theatre was caught up in the closure of the M25 following a fatal road accident on Tuesday.
The incident involving four lorries and six cars led to the motorway being closed from 12.30pm until 9pm.
Bosses at the theatre delayed the start time to 8pm while the director tried and find a solution to allow the performance to carry on.
However, they said because of the complexity of the musical harmonies it would have proved to complicated and the performance was cancelled.
You may also want to watch:
Audience members were offered seats for future performances or a full refund.
Theresa Veith, executive director of the Mercury Theatre, said: “This was obviously disappointing for audiences who arrived for the performance but they were very understanding and many have contacted the theatre to comment on how well the situation was handled.
- 1 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 2 Town take up contract options on duo with plenty of departures still expected
- 3 Chambers and Skuse set to be headline exits on day of departures at Ipswich Town
- 4 Mark Heath: The Town players Cook should keep and release today
- 5 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 6 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 7 Chambers and Skuse to leave Ipswich Town
- 8 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 9 Search for man after girl, 10, accosted at B&M store in Stowmarket
- 10 New cocktail bar and tapas restaurant to open in Ipswich
“This was a very difficult night for the theatre but our thoughts are with the families of the bereaved and those seriously injured in the accident.”