Colchester ranked second best zoo in the UK
- Credit: Archant
Colchester Zoo has climbed up the rankings to be crowned Europe’s sixth best zoo.
The tourist attraction, which draws thousands of visitors to Essex, held onto its position as second best zoo in the UK, pipped to the top spot as it was last year by Chester Zoo.
However last year it took eighth place in the European rankings, but has now moved up two spots.
Animals at Colchester also have a global attraction, with the zoo placing 11th best in the world in the TripAdvisor Travellers’ Choice Awards.
Alex Downing, development director at Colchester Zoo, said: “We’re delighted to hear the news as it is a wonderful endorsement of all the hard work that goes into making Colchester Zoo the very special place that it is, not only for our animals but also for our visitors.”
You may also want to watch:
The 60-acre zoo near Stanway is home to more than 270 species.
TripAdvisor spokesman James Kay said: “These awards are based on the millions of reviews and opinions written by our global community of travellers.
- 1 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 2 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 3 Teaching assistant wins unfair dismissal claim
- 4 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 5 Election 2021: Suffolk County Council candidates published
- 6 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 7 'It could have been a lot worse' - Thatched home owner thanks crews after fire
- 8 'This bloke is the new sponsor of Ipswich Town' - Ed Sheeran posts throwback picture after shirt announcement
- 9 Woman in hospital after fire at Ipswich house
- 10 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
“For Colchester Zoo to hold the title of UK’s second best rated zoo for two consecutive years is a fantastic achievement.”