Colchester walking football team play against celebrity team live on TV for Sport Relief
- Credit: Archant
A walking football team from Colchester played their own part in Sport Relief last week by going up against a team of celebrities live on television.
Colchester Phoenix Walking FC travelled to Salford on Friday to take part in the BBC’s live event and came back victorious.
Playing in the Sport Relief Five Live-A-Side Challenge against a celebrity All Stars team, led by former Manchester United and Welsh international footballer Robbie Savage, the Essex club came away with a 10-4 win.
It was the largest defeat of the very few suffered by the celebrity team, who played 36 games over the 22-hour marathon event.
The Colchester club was only one of five in the UK to be invited to play.
You may also want to watch:
Dave Spurgeon, club secretary, said: “It was fantastic. What was really nice was the likes of Robbie Savage and Peter Reid complimenting us on the manner in which we played the game.”
Colchester Phoenix’s match against the All Stars can still be viewed on BBC iPlayer, starting at 7hr 56min.
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 3 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more
- 4 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 5 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 6 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 7 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 8 Boy, 13, pulled from moat at Framlingham Castle
- 9 Man airlifted to hospital from beach given 'vital first aid' by lifeguards
- 10 Motorcyclist in life-threatening condition after crash with parked cars