Leisure centre to get £1.5million upgrade
- Credit: Archant
Residents are being invited to share their views on what they would like to see included in an upgrade of Newmarket Leisure Centre.
A community consultation has been launched for the Exning Road centre by West Suffolk Council and not-for-profit operators Abbeycroft Leisure, who say they want to understand what residents want before any decisions are taken.
News of the consultation comes after a £1.5million refurbishment project was completed at Haverhill Leisure Centre at the beginning of the year.
The nine-month revamp saw a complete overhaul of the centre in two phases, including new changing rooms, an extended gym, a new self-centre and a children’s soft play area.
MORE: Take a look at town’s new leisure centre after £1.5m refurbishmentIn a joint statement, West Suffolk Council and Abbeycroft Leisure said they are looking to carry out community consultation on investment opportunities at the centre.
They said: “West Suffolk Council is working on a programme of investment in our leisure centres.
You may also want to watch:
“An essential part of this is understanding what local people want before any formal decisions are taken. The £1.5m upgrade of Haverhill Leisure Centre we have just completed has been warmly received.
“Now we want to find out what Newmarket people would like to see and we’re inviting them to tell us either in person at the centre or at a series of public consultation events.”
MORE: Leisure centre crowned gym of the yearThe public consultation events will take place on:
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 3 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
- 4 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 5 See inside stunning £2m Woodbridge home with 'fantastic leisure complex'
- 6 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 7 Gangs of 'lampers' use spotlights to distract animals and kill them
- 8 'It was a clear foul' - Imps boss Appleton angry after Town defeat
- 9 Two cars set alight in two different streets
- 10 A14 ‘reopening soon’ after serious crash causes overnight closure
Tuesday, May 7 – 5pm to 8pm at Newmarket Leisure Centre
Wednesday, May 8 – 1pm to 3pm at Tesco, Fordham Road, Newmarket
Friday, May 10 – 7am to 9am at Newmarket Leisure Centre
Brett Gooch, Abbeycroft’s general manager at Newmarket Leisure centre, said: “The views of our community are really important in this process and we want to encourage as many people as possible to tell us what they think, either at one of the special events or by contacting us at the centre.”
Views and feedback from the community, along with the results of design proposals, will be considered by West Suffolk Council in a report seeking funding for the eventual scheme.