Community fears after shooting
NEIGHBOURS of a man who was gunned down on his doorstep said they feared violence could continue in their community. Two men were arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after the gangland style attack on a 38-year-old man from Jaywick, near Clacton.
NEIGHBOURS of a man who was gunned down on his doorstep said they feared violence could continue in their community.
Two men were arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after the gangland style attack on a 38-year-old man from Jaywick, near Clacton.
The man survived the attempt on his life and was taken to Colchester General Hospital and was last nightin a stable condition.
The attack took place at 7.25pm on Sunday but last night police remained at the scene carrying out investigations.
You may also want to watch:
Residents of the area where the attack took place said there had been a series of fireworks set off at the same time as the shooting, possibly designed to disguise the noise of the gun.
One woman, who did not want to be named said: "This attack goes a lot further than just what happened and it always goes back to the same thing.
- 1 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 2 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Villa set to recall Barry in January
- 4 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 5 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 6 Mike Bacon: Starting to walk the walk, I'm liking the way we move
- 7 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 8 Two Suffolk homes 30 miles apart struck by lightning
- 9 Family pays tribute to 'gentle giant' who died in motorbike crash
- 10 'It's powerful' - Harper on Town's use of sports psychology
"It is getting worse round here, a lot of people are on crack, 75% of people are on drugs. What has happened – I don't think that will be the end of it."
Another man added the area had declined and no longer felt as safe as a few years ago.
He said: "There is nothing round here anymore, there is no society. Something like this happens every year now.
"You used to be able to walk down the alley and say 'hello' to people, now you have to watch behind your shoulder."
The two arrested men, aged 43 from Clacton and 22 from Jaywick, were last night being held at Clacton police station.
Anyone with information about the shooting should contact Clacton police on 01255 221312 or Crimestoppers on freephone 0800 555111.