Concern over public ‘sex cruising’ places
ACTION could be taken by a council after it was claimed a number of publicly-owned sites were being used for illicit sexual activity.
A number of buildings and places in west Suffolk – ranging from toilets to woodlands to multi-storey car parks – have been highlighted by a website.
The website even rates each location – including the Rookery Shopping Centre toilets, Brandon’s car park toilets, Great Cornard Country Park and the Rougham Road truck stop in Bury – using a star-based system.
It also gives information about the best visiting times and the types of clientele each location attracts.
One of the highest-rated locations in west Suffolk is an area called The Copse, which is close to West Suffolk College in Bury St Edmunds.
You may also want to watch:
Another location listed is the Parkway multi-storey car park.
St Edmundsbury Borough Council, which runs the car park, last night voiced its surprise that the building was included and said it was unaware of any problem there. However, a spokeswoman for the council said if a problem did emerge, the council would take steps to deal with it.
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Jack Whitehall praises award-winning Suffolk gastropub after visit
- 3 Town face competition from Championship club for Rotherham midfielder Crooks
- 4 Caravans pitch up at Felixstowe park
- 5 Former Ipswich Town boss Keane as you've never seen him before
- 6 A14 and A12 set for major upgrade work
- 7 Coronavirus 'growth rate' rises further in East Anglia
- 8 Glass found in popular paddling pool forcing it to close
- 9 Full list: Everyone in Suffolk in the Queen's Birthday Honours 2021
- 10 Two men arrested after police uncover cannabis farm
A police spokeswoman said while sex in a public place was not an offence under the law, “any sexual activity in a toilet to which the public has access is a criminal offence, regardless of the sexual orientation of the offenders”.
Forest Heath District Council said it was not aware of any cruising.