Conservatives win in mock election at Debenham High School
- Credit: Archant
Students at Debenham High School held their own elections last Thursday aimed at increasing interest in politics.
On May 1 two of the candidates for the Central Suffolk and North Ipswich seat came to the school.
Dan Poulter, for the Conservatives (who won the seat on Thursday) and Jack Abbott for Labour, visited to put across their arguments. They spoke to Year 9 and Year 10 students before fielding questions from them.
Alongside this eight Year 10 students ran their own campaigns in school for their own polling day on May 7.
Students gave their own hustings in assemblies before children went to the polls.
You may also want to watch:
Headteacher Julia Upton said: “Those eight students approached me to ask if they could use their campaign to raise of awareness of a current international disaster and to bring the whole school together.
“They came to ask if we could have a non-uniform day to raise money for the charity work in Nepal. Students were asked to make the usual contribution of £1 and to link to the election theme. Students were asked to dress in the colour of one of the parties for the school election.
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 3 Jeffers set for Ipswich Town coaching role
- 4 'The honour of my life' - Chambers' message to Town fans after departure confirmed
- 6 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 7 Exit Interview: Farewell to Ipswich Town's most iconic player of the last decade
- 8 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 9 Delays continue on A12 after lorry rolls in crash
- 10 Murder accused storms out of witness box after admitting stabbing his ex
“These students have been creating a super election buzz around school but went out of their way to see me to ask if they could use the platform they have been given to champion the terrible circumstances in Nepal.”
The mock election results were Sammy Tournay-Godfrey and Bethan Barrett Green Party 103 votes, Paddy Hughes and Poppy Fawkner Conservative Party 287, Peter Ouko and Annie Voller Labour 181 and Dawn Poole and Ewan Lloyd Liberal Democrats 59.