Cook chosen for Norwich North
IPSWICH borough councillor John Cook has been handed the task of trying to win back Norwich North from the Tories at the next election.Labour lost the seat in a by-election last July which had been caused by the resignation of Dr Ian Gibson during the expenses scandal that swept through Westminster.
IPSWICH borough councillor John Cook has been handed the task of trying to win back Norwich North from the Tories at the next election.
Labour lost the seat in a by-election last July which had been caused by the resignation of Dr Ian Gibson during the expenses scandal that swept through Westminster.
Dr Gibson's 2005 majority of 5,549 was overturned, with Tory Chloe Smith romping home by 7,348.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Cook, who is Labour's agent and secretary in Ipswich, comes from Thorpe St Andrew in the constituency and despite living and working in Ipswich, has remained a loyal fan of the Canaries.
He intends to stand down as a St John's ward councillor for the borough in May and return to Norwich. He is a former district councillor in Broadland and Norwich county councillor.
- 1 Get ready for League One's 'Arizona Derby' as Lincoln follow Town with Phoenix investment
- 2 'If offers are higher elsewhere, so be it' - Wigan CEO on losing Evans to Ipswich
- 3 Why these Suffolk villages were named among 'most beautiful to visit'
- 4 Shop opens at Suffolk village pub
- 5 Thunderstorms expected to continue until Saturday in Suffolk and Essex
- 6 Saxmundham man, 26, appears in court charged with 11 child sex offences
- 7 Traffic at standstill on A12 between Ipswich and Colchester
- 8 Man and woman charged in connection with the theft of 85 dogs
- 9 'We're keeping about 10% of the roster' - Johnson on Ipswich squad overhaul
- 10 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'in £100,000 tug-of-war' for non-league midfielder
His selection means Ipswich Labour Party will have to find an agent to organise the re-election campaign of MP Chris Mole.
He said: “I am really looking forward to getting stuck in and reacquainting myself with the many people in Norwich North who know me.”
Norwich South MP Charles Clarke said: “John Cook will be an outstanding Labour candidate for Norwich North. He is very politically experienced and understands the constituency deeply. He will offer a real threat to Chloe Smith.”
Mr Cook was Dr Gibson's election agent in 1992 and 1997 and says the former MP was “treated harshly” over the expenses affair which led to his resignation.
He is married to Adele, a lawyer working in the public sector, who also teaches at UEA, and they have a 19-year-old daughter.
Before becoming a professional politician, Mr Cook he worked as a bank clerk and what was then the Department for Social Security and HM Customs and Excise. He is a former Scout leader and also enjoys paragliding.