Three new deaths at Ipswich and Colchester hospitals
- Credit: Archant
Three new coronavirus deaths have been recorded at Ipswich and Colchester hospitals since official data was last updated.
The number of new deaths announced by NHS England for hospitals across the country was 157 up to 5pm on Friday, May 22.
The 157 included patients aged between 12 and 100. Of these, seven – aged between 57 and 88 – had no known underlying health condition.
The total death toll for the UK now sits at 36,675 – up 282 on yesterday – with 2,959 new confirmed cases, taking the total of confirmed cases to 257,154.
Three new deaths were reported by the East Suffolk and North Essex Foundation NHS Trust, which runs Ipswich and Colchester hospitals.
You may also want to watch:
No new deaths have been reported by West Suffolk Hospital.
In East Suffolk and North Essex, there have been 316 coronavirus-related deaths in the area’s hospitals, while 63 patients who have tested positive for Covid-19 have died at the West Suffolk Hospital in Bury St Edmunds.
- 1 Suffolk gets its first ever Michelin Star
- 2 Matchday Recap: Town beaten at home by Wyke goal
- 3 Jack Whomes to be freed after 23 years in jail for 'Essex Boys' murders
- 4 Noise disruption possible as low-flying RAF jets simulate training
- 5 Farm vehicle and power tools worth thousands stolen in break in
- 6 Covid rips through Suffolk care homes again with deaths up 50% in a week
- 7 Teenager seriously injured in Ipswich stabbing
- 8 Town's reaction will be fascinating as Sunderland visit on a big night for Lambert's Ipswich
- 9 Watch: What next for Debenhams stores across Suffolk and Essex?
- 10 'It's up to Marcus what he does' - Lambert reacts to Sunderland defeat
The total number of deaths of people who tested positive for Covid-19 in hospitals in England is 25,544.
Of the total confirmed reported deaths so far in hospitals, 13,507 (53%) have been people aged 80 and over, while 9,814 (38%) were aged 60-79
Nick Hulme, Chief Executive for East Suffolk and North Essex NHS Foundation Trust, said: “We can confirm that one patient in their 70s, who had underlying health conditions, has sadly passed away at Ipswich Hospital. The patient had tested positive for Covid-19.
“Two patients in their 80s, have sadly passed away at Colchester Hospital, both had underlying health conditions and have Covid-19 listed on their death certificates.
“Our thoughts and condolences remain with the patients’ families and loved ones at this difficult time.”