Crash driver caused death of mother,30
A YOUNG driver who caused the death of a mother in a “heavy head-to-head road collision” has been sentenced to 12 months in a young offenders’ institute.
Casey Mola, 20, was sentenced at Ipswich Crown Court yesterday having admitted causing death by careless driving in a crash on the B1275 at Oulton in Suffolk on November 2 last year.
Kelly Palmer, 30, from Bradwell, near Great Yarmouth, died and her two young children were injured after their Suzuki Vitara 4x4 convertible collided with a Citroen car driven by Mola.
Mola, of Market Lane, Blundeston, near Lowestoft, also pleaded guilty to driving while uninsured and possession of cannabis. The charges all relate to the collision.
Robert Sadd, prosecuting, said that Ms Palmer had been driving her seven-year-old son to football practice and also in the car was her nine-year-old daughter.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “For reasons we may never know he [Mola] did not stay on his side of the road and drove into the path of Kelly Palmer’s car.” Mr Sadd added that although cannabis had been found in Mola’s car, there was no forensic evidence to suggest he had driven while unfit because of the drug.
Judge Rupert Overbury told Mola: “You will continue for a long time to feel guilty for your actions that have caused so much hurt and despair.”
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Jack Whitehall praises award-winning Suffolk gastropub after visit
- 3 Town face competition from Championship club for Rotherham midfielder Crooks
- 4 A14 and A12 set for major upgrade work
- 5 Former Ipswich Town boss Keane as you've never seen him before
- 6 Caravans pitch up at Felixstowe car park
- 7 Full list: Everyone in Suffolk in the Queen's Birthday Honours 2021
- 8 Coronavirus 'growth rate' rises further in East Anglia
- 9 Glass found in popular paddling pool forcing it to close
- 10 Two men arrested after police uncover cannabis farm
Mola was also disqualified from driving for three years and fined �150 for possession of cannabis.