Suspect in Victoria Hall murder 'remains under investigation'
- Credit: Courtesy of family
A man arrested on suspicion of the murder of teenager Vicky Hall in 1999 remains under investigation pending ongoing enquiries, police have said.
The man, reported to be Suffolk Strangler Steve Wright, was arrested in July on suspicion of murder after new information came to light following the reopening of the case in 2019.
Wright, who murdered five women in Ipswich in 2006, and was living in Felixstowe at the time of Miss Hall's murder, is serving a whole-life tariff at Long Lartin prison in Worcestershire.
Suffolk police, who previously neither confirmed or denied whether Wright was the man arrested, said they would not speculate as to whether the suspect will or will not be questioned further as part of the investigation.
It is nearly 22 years since Miss Hall was last seen alive in the early hours of Sunday, September 19, 1999, in High Road, Trimley.
The 17-year-old, from Trimley St Mary, left home the previous evening to go for a night out with a friend at the Bandbox nightclub in Felixstowe - where they remained until about 1am.
The friends went to get some food at the Bodrum Grill, in Undercliff Road West, before beginning the walk back to Trimley St Mary.
They parted at about 2.20am, near the junction of High Road and Faulkeners Way and Miss Hall vanished minutes after saying goodnight to her friend about 200 yards from her home.
The friend heard a scream a few minutes after she had left Miss Hall.
Several other residents on the estate where Miss Hall lived also heard "horrifying screams" as well as the sound of a "sporty car" roaring away.
- 1 Bishop on his 'brutal, almost disrespectful' Ipswich exit, not fitting into Cook's system and why he's 'absolutely loving' life at Lincoln
- 2 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 3 Your favourite pub, restaurant, café and hotel in Suffolk revealed
- 4 Cook on whether he's missing the influence of Richardson
- 5 Town face 'red tape' wait over Celina
- 6 ‘Inadequate’ private hospital closes after patients ‘put at prolonged risk of harm’
- 7 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 8 Grieving Cook determined to fill Town fans with joy
- 9 Yellow weather warning for heavy rain issued for parts of Suffolk
- 10 Ed Sheeran announces three Wembley dates as part of = world tour
Miss Hall's naked body was found five days later in a water-filled ditch 25 miles away at Creeting St Peter.
In 2001, Felixstowe businessman Adrian Bradshaw stood trial charged with Miss Hall's murder but was unanimously cleared by a jury within 90 minutes.
In 2019 - 20 years since Miss Hall's murder - police reopened the two-decade cold case murder investigation after new information came to light, with a new team of detectives working the case.
Detectives are continuing to appeal for anyone with information about Miss Hall's death to contact the major investigation team, via either the online portal or by calling the incident room direct on 01473 782059 and quoting Operation Avon.
Alternatively, contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111, or via the charity's website here.