Man fighting for his life after town centre assault
- Credit: Archant
A man is fighting for his life after suffering head injuries during an assault in Colchester town centre.
Police were called to reports of a fight in the town shortly before 4.20am Saturday, August 28, and found the injured man on the pavement in St Botolph's Street soon after.
The man, believed to be in his 40s, had been knocked unconscious and suffered head injuries.
He remains in a life-threatening condition in hospital.
A man in his 20s was arrested at the scene on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm with intent and remains in custody for questioning.
A police cordon has been put in place at the junction with Queen Street while forensic officers carry out their examinations.
Traffic is being diverted via East Hill.
- 1 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 2 Bishop on his 'brutal, almost disrespectful' Ipswich exit, not fitting into Cook's system and why he's 'absolutely loving' life at Lincoln
- 3 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 4 ‘Inadequate’ private hospital closes after patients ‘put at prolonged risk of harm’
- 5 Road outside Ipswich closed after two cars collide
- 6 Hits, misses, an 'unseen' suspension, a few goals and two still without clubs - how the departed Ipswich players are faring ahead of Bishop reunion
- 7 Town face 'red tape' wait over Celina
- 8 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 9 Cook on whether he's missing the influence of Richardson
- 10 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
Initial enquiries have found no weapons were seen during the assault and detectives continue to review CCTV footage.
Those in the area at the time, or who saw what happened, are asked to speak to officers at the scene or call Essex Police on 101.
Alternatively, information can be given to Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.
Those with information should quote CAD 232 of August 28.