Did drinkers behave on first Friday night after Freedom Day?
- Credit: Archant
Friday night was expected to be a big one with clubs reopening in Suffolk for the first weekend after Freedom Day and all social distancing restrictions lifted in pubs and bars.
Suffolk police were gearing up for a busy night but they were not called to any major incidents in the county.
Superintendent Janine Wratten, of Suffolk police, revealed officers received no reports of any major incidents connected with revellers enjoying the first weekend night out without restrictions in 16 months.
She said police have been preparing for the reopening for several weeks but was pleased to report officers were only called to minor incidents overnight.
Supt Wratten said: "It was really without incident. There was nothing really of note.
You may also want to watch:
"Although the restrictions were easing, we were doing so much work to make sure this was a success. We had so much confidence in our officers.
"My message at the moment is to enjoy yourselves, but please keep following the rules that places are setting out."
Although restaurants, pubs and bars are no longer required to have social distancing measures in place, many venues have opted to keep some Covid rules in place as case rates are rising rapidly.
- 1 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 2 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 3 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 4 'It was horrific': Grandmother stuck abroad after 40ft castle fall
- 5 Five star cat hotel opens near Bury St Edmunds
- 6 Towering views for royal on visit to see completed £4m Suffolk project
- 7 'We have the quality to go on and win this league' - Burns calls upon fans to keep the faith
- 8 A14 to close following four vehicle crash
- 9 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 10 Daylight dogging makes beauty spot 'no-go area'
Many are still asking customers to wear masks while moving around inside, buffet services have been reintroduced but with safety measures in place and table service remains in operation at some pubs.