Crown Pools evacuated amid fire scare
- Credit: Archant
The biggest leisure facility in Ipswich was evacuated after a fire alarm was thought to be triggered by the heat.
Firefighters were called to the scene after the alarm was raised shortly before 4.15pm today.
Staff evacuated the Crown Pools. which contains a gym, sauna, and two swimming pools, after it is thought a heat sensor in the boiler room triggered the alarm.
A spokesperson for Ipswich Borough Council confirmed that the pool had been full at the time of evacuation.
He said: “Crown Pools has been evacuated because a fire alarm has been set off.
You may also want to watch:
“Staff believe it could have been a victim of the heat – triggered by a heat sensor in the boiler room.
“We apologise for any inconvenience caused but people’s safety is our top priority.”
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 3 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
- 4 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 5 See inside stunning £2m Woodbridge home with 'fantastic leisure complex'
- 6 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 7 Gangs of 'lampers' use spotlights to distract animals and kill them
- 8 'It was a clear foul' - Imps boss Appleton angry after Town defeat
- 9 Two cars set alight in two different streets
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
A spokesperson for Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service said that one engine, from Ipswich East, attended the scene.
The watch commander confirmed that there was no sign of fire in the vicinity.
The facility has now been reopened.
It comes only days after the Crown Pools was reopened following repairs made to the roof of the building.