Day of family fun as resort enjoys Christmas switch-on
A seaside town enjoyed one of its busiest days of the year as people flocked to the resort for Christmas shopping and its festive lights switch on.
Aldeburgh Business Association (ABA) lined up a packed programme of activities, with most of the fun centred in and around the Moot Hall.
Mayor Michael Kiff was joined by Aldeburgh Primary pupil Lexi Gadd, winner of the school’s Christmas picture competition, to switch on the lights.
During the day there had been a funfair and food, including a BBQ catered by the White Lion, Father Christmas in his grotto, and live entertainment on stage, local choirs and school music groups, and a festive sing-a-long, before fireworks sponsored by the TA Hotel Collection.
There was also a free treasure hunt trail, and judging of the best decorated house, Christmas tree and shop window.
You may also want to watch:
Compere for the day, Peter Osborne, vice chairman of the ABA, said, “Switching on the lights marks the true beginning of the festive season in our town leading up to Christmas Day itself.”
Father Christmas arrived in style at Snape Maltings yesterday – leaving his sleigh behind and taking to a historic Thames barge sailing up the river.
- 1 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 2 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 3 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 4 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 5 When Ipswich boss Cook will inform players of his contract decisions
- 6 Election 2021: Ipswich Borough Council results
- 7 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 8 Campervan ban lifted in 12 car parks by the coast
- 9 Why Cook has given Norwood Ipswich Town's captain's armband
- 10 Police identify elderly man after incident involving young girl in village
His arrival heralds a series of festive events at the riverside complex, including on Saturday an Aldeburgh Food and Drink Festival Christmas Market from 9.30am to 1.30pm and Bach at Christmas with the Aldeburgh Voices and The Suffolk Ensemble at 6pm.