Detectives hunt Post Office burglars
DETECTIVES are hunting ram raiders who smashed their way into a post office in west Suffolk.Yesterday morning a trail of destruction was left by a gang at Wickhambook Post Office, near Haverhill, after the raiders broke a hole in the wall using a pick up truck in their bid to steal the safe.
DETECTIVES are hunting ram raiders who smashed their way into two village post offices in west Suffolk.
Yesterday morning a trail of destruction was left by a gang at Wickhambook Post Office, near Haverhill, after the raiders broke a hole in the wall using a pick up truck in their bid to steal the safe.
A short while later, raiders struck at Assington Farm Shop and Post Office, near Sudbury, from which they made off with a stack of cigarettes.
Suffolk Police yesterday said it was too early to say whether the two incidents were linked.
You may also want to watch:
A spokeswoman for the force said the offenders reversed a grey Toyota pick-up truck into the brick wall of Wickhambrook Post Office.
She added: “Substantial damage was caused to the wall and at least one of the offenders then entered the building through the hole but it's thought they were disturbed and made off at speed in another vehicle without stealing anything.”
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town close out game to secure big win
- 2 Cook proud of players after Town hold on for elusive first win
- 3 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 4 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 1-0 Lincoln win
- 5 Watch Town CEO Ashton wildly celebrate Lincoln win with Town fans
- 6 Lincoln City 0-1 Ipswich Town: Bonne does the business as Blues earn first win
- 7 Concerns as 12 Suffolk landfill sites could contain 'hazardous material'
- 8 The best roast dinners in Suffolk as chosen by our readers
- 9 Ipswich tech firm warns of spyware scare on Apple devices
- 10 Gangs of 'lampers' use spotlights to distract animals and kill them
It is thought there were three to five raiders who made their way towards the Stradishall crossroads.
And at 2.30am yesterday morning there was a second incident at Assington Farm Shop and Post Office in which three raiders arrived in a dark coloured saloon and broke into the shop. The car was loaded up with stolen cigarettes and the gang sped away.
Anybody with information about either incident should contact Suffolk Police on 01473 613500 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.