Dispersal order authorised for Colchester town centre
- Credit: Archant
Police have authorised a dispersal order for Colchester town centre this weekend after a “big disturbance” last night.
The order has been imposed following the incident in the town centre last night, believed to have happened outside Atik nightclub.
The order, which began at 6.30pm this evening and runs until 6.30pm on Monday, empowers uniformed constables or police community support officers to require that a person causing – or likely to cause – anti-social behaviour, crime or disorder to leave an area for 48 hours.
Failure to comply is an offence and people can be arrested.
Sergeant Manny Lawrence tweeted this morning: “Extremely busy shift tonight with the team attending disturbances in the city centre and domestics.
You may also want to watch:
“One suspect arrested for driving and drugs offences. Majority of the team were then pulled to assist in Colchester for a big disturbance.”
Essex Police said on the force’s Facebook page: “This has been authorised to assist police keeping people safe, we politely request that if you are asked to leave this area, that you comply with our officers instruction.”
- 1 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 2 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 3 'It was horrific': Grandmother stuck abroad after 40ft castle fall
- 4 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 5 'We have the quality to go on and win this league' - Burns calls upon fans to keep the faith
- 6 Five star cat hotel opens near Bury St Edmunds
- 7 Towering views for royal on visit to see completed £4m Suffolk project
- 8 A14 to close following four vehicle crash
- 9 Daylight dogging makes beauty spot 'no-go area'
- 10 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
The map shows the area affected by the order.