WATCH: Dog acts as mum to nine ducklings
- Credit: Jeremy Goldsmith
Lovable Labrador dog Fred is acting as an unlikely “mum” to nine orphaned ducklings at a heritage attraction in Essex.
Staff at Mountfitchet Castle in Stansted were very worried when the mother duck disappeared last week, and the youngsters were found waddling around the castle grounds alone.
However, 10-year-old Fred immediately took to them and has been acting as a stand-in parent ever since.
The ducklings adore him, and they are now getting very mischievous, even hitching a ride on his back and following him in to the water for a swim in the castle moat.
Castle manager Jeremy Goldsmith said, “He has always been very gentle. The ducklings are all in our house at the moment and he is very good with them.
“We have a lot of rescued animals, including deer, goats, chickens and peacocks. We have all the domestic fowl that would have been here in Norman times.”
The castle and Norman Village of 1066 are open daily from 10am to 5pm.
- 1 The possible candidates as Ipswich Town search for new boss
- 2 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 3 Stuart Watson's verdict: Cook sacking shows Town owners mean business
- 4 The early betting favourites to be the next Town boss
- 5 'Would get Town promoted this season' - Ambrose reveals his choice for new boss
- 6 Approved town centre hotel will help meet need for tourist rooms
- 7 Flood alert issued for Suffolk and north Essex coast
- 8 Ipswich Town set to announce caretaker manager
- 9 Paul Cook sacked by Ipswich Town
- 10 Harsh or fair? Here's what Town fans are saying about Paul Cook sacking