WATCH: Dog acts as mum to nine ducklings
- Credit: Jeremy Goldsmith
Lovable Labrador dog Fred is acting as an unlikely “mum” to nine orphaned ducklings at a heritage attraction in Essex.
Staff at Mountfitchet Castle in Stansted were very worried when the mother duck disappeared last week, and the youngsters were found waddling around the castle grounds alone.
However, 10-year-old Fred immediately took to them and has been acting as a stand-in parent ever since.
The ducklings adore him, and they are now getting very mischievous, even hitching a ride on his back and following him in to the water for a swim in the castle moat.
Castle manager Jeremy Goldsmith said, “He has always been very gentle. The ducklings are all in our house at the moment and he is very good with them.
You may also want to watch:
“We have a lot of rescued animals, including deer, goats, chickens and peacocks. We have all the domestic fowl that would have been here in Norman times.”
The castle and Norman Village of 1066 are open daily from 10am to 5pm.
- 1 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 3 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 4 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 5 'Complete negligence' - anger as sports clubs locked out of playing fields
- 6 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Spurs loanee Parrott set to return to Blues next season
- 7 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 8 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 9 Driver who killed 'dearly loved' man, 29, in crash is jailed
- 10 Witnesses sought after four-vehicle crash in east Suffolk