Vets' warning after dogs eat rat poison disguised inside treats at park
- Credit: Gregg Brown
Dog walkers in Colchester are being urged to be vigilant after a veterinary practice saw several cases of pets falling ill after eating rat poison disguised within treats.
Vets4Pets Colchester, which is found at Colne View Retail Park, issued the warning to its clients on Facebook, following "several possible cases" of dogs ingesting rat poison in the Highwoods and Castle Park areas.
It said: "These cases seem particularly suspicious as the potential poison has been disguised within dog treats.
"Please be extra vigilant when on your daily dog walks as we all know that dogs are highly inquisitive and like to eat everything within sight."
The chemicals used in rat or mice poisonings are often highly toxic to dogs and can cause internal bleeding, kidney failure, organ damage and even death.
The veterinary practice added: "If you have any concerns or you believe your dog may have ingested the unknown substance please contact us at the practice on 01206 771 984."
- 1 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 2 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 3 'I've got goosebumps... I've been blown away' - Town owner Johnson excited for first Portman Road game
- 4 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 5 Ipswich Town 2-1 Fleetwood Town: Celina's late, late winner seals it for Blues
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Fleetwood win
- 7 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 8 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 9 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 10 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'