Drink-driver admits horror injury crash
A DRINK-driver is facing jail after causing a crash which left a teenage girl with horrific injuries.
Robert Walker, 26, smashed his sports car into a tree in Bedfield, near Framlingham, with such force it threw Emily Millican out of the window.
Paramedics found the 18-year-old in a nearby field off Dog Lane with serious head injuries.
Miss Millican, of Rickinghall, near Diss, spent many weeks in a critical care unit in hospital, but was last month said to be making a good recovery in the high dependancy ward.
Walker, formerly of The Old Rectory in Bedfield, admitted driving dangerously, driving without insurance and driving while over the legal alcohol limit when he appeared at Ipswich Crown Court yesterday.
You may also want to watch:
Claire Hullock, mitigating, said Walker had no previous convictions, but had one caution for a similar offence.
She asked for a full pre-sentence report to be completed after claiming Walker had a history of mental health problems.
- 1 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 2 Man in 40s dies following A12 crash
- 3 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 4 'People might think I'm crocked now... but I fully back myself' - Norwood determined to make his mark
- 5 Siegrist and Amos leading targets as Town step up hunt for new No.1
- 6 25 of the best cafes for outdoor dining in Suffolk
- 7 Man dies following stabbing in Bury St Edmunds
- 8 A12 re-opens after man seriously hurt in two-car crash
- 9 Off-duty PC caught speeding on A14
- 10 Mum 'shocked' to be given car park fine while breastfeeding child
Judge David Goodin warned Walker to prepare for a prison sentence.
“This is a serious offence,” he said. “It may result in the loss of your liberty. I shall order a pre-sentence report which will address all the sentencing options.
“You must understand nevertheless that a judge is not bound by the recommendations of the report.
“They may decide they have no option but to send you to custody.”
Miss Millican, a former Hartismere High School pupil, was a passenger in Walker’s powerful Subaru Impreza when he left the road and collided with a tree on Sunday, January 24.
Her family have kept a vigil at her bedside in Addenbrooke’s Hospital ever since and have updated hundreds of her friends on her progress through social networking site Facebook.
Last month, the EADT reported how Miss Millican was now able to laugh and joke.
At the time of the crash, Miss Millican was studying horticulture at Otley College.