Driver hurt as lorry overturns
A LORRY driver has suffered a broken arm and head injuries after his lorry overturned in Felixstowe today.
A LORRY driver has suffered a broken arm and head injuries after his truck overturned in Felixstowe today.
The incident happened at about 2pm when the articulated vehicle rolled over on the roundabout outside Dock Gate One and collided with a lamppost, ending up on its side on the grass verge.
A spokeswoman for Suffolk police said no other vehicle was involved in the accident - which happened between the dock gate entrance road and the turning into Walton Avenue - and the lorry, which was carrying waste paper, is not blocking the road.
The driver was taken by ambulance to Ipswich Hospital for treatment.
You may also want to watch:
Emergency services and a road incident support unit are on the scene.
A towing vehicle had arrived but the services were waiting for a heavy lift crane to pull the vehicle, owned by the haulage company James Kemball, of Hodgkinson Road, Felixstowe, back upright.
- 1 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 2 League One side showing strong interest in Ipswich youngster Lankester
- 3 Town show Jacobs interest but injury holds up potential deal
- 4 Man in 50s dies following crash on Suffolk border
- 5 Ipswich Town's 2021/22 League One fixtures revealed as Blues start at home
- 6 Man arrested after more than 80 vehicles checked on day of action
- 7 Mike Bacon: We needed an enormous brush.... And it looks like we are getting one!
- 8 Investigation to find fly-tipper who dumped rubbish near A14
- 9 New beginnings, old faces and a return home - what to look for on 'fixtures day'
- 10 Man dies following stabbing in Bury St Edmunds
Police said the road would be closed for a short time while the vehicle was hauled back on its wheels and then it would be towed away.
Electricians were being called to ensure the damaged street lamp was safe. Officers from Atkins, agents for the Highways Agency, were checking the road for damage.
It is thought the lorry was moving quite slowly around the roundabout but its load may have dislodged, shifting the weight and causing it to roll over.