Drug dealer caught with gun put behind bars for ten years
IPSWICH: A large-scale drug dealer is beginning ten years behind bars today after being caught with a loaded gun, and more than seven kilos of crack cocaine and cannabis.
Richard Allen, of Beatty Road, Ipswich, was jailed for five years for possessing a firearm and a further five years for possession of Class A drugs with intent to supply.
The 50-year-old also received further prison sentences totalling 10 years for possession of cannabis with intent to supply, possessing ammunition without a certificate, possession of cocaine and possessing criminal property which was said to be �2,400 in cash.
The sentences for these offences are to run concurrently with the two five-year sentences.
Allen, who is also known by the name Roger Morrison, pleaded guilty to the charges at Croydon Crown Court.
You may also want to watch:
The court heard police in Bromley, London, stopped a silver Ford Focus rental car in Bromley Hill, on January 14, following a tip off the vehicle was being used in the supply of drugs. Allen was in the car at the time. When he was taken from the vehicle and searched, 90 wraps of crack cocaine were found in his pockets.
After he was arrested on suspicion of possession with intent to supply drugs, detectives went to an address where he was staying in Britton Close, Catford.
- 1 'If offers are higher elsewhere, so be it' - Wigan CEO on losing Evans to Ipswich
- 2 Aldi targets Felixstowe, Saxmundham and Sudbury for new stores
- 3 Wanted man arrested in Stowupland village
- 4 Thunderstorms expected to continue until Saturday in Suffolk and Essex
- 5 Why these Suffolk villages were named among 'most beautiful to visit'
- 6 Chambers on a 'Town core setting standards' at Colchester
- 7 Pair arrested for alleged sex assault on young woman
- 8 Farmer's anger at 'utterly vile' dog owner who tied dog mess to gate lock
- 9 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 10 Sweltering Suffolk could see hottest day this year ahead of thunderstorms
A search of the premises led to a further seven kilos of drugs, a loaded handgun, and �2,400 in cash, being found. A magazine for the gun and 13 loose bullets were also discovered at the address.
The gun was a converted Cuno Melcher ME9 Para-22D Air Pistol, which had been modified to fire live rounds. The ammunition was modified 9mm PAK calibre cartridges.
Allen had previously been convicted of drug dealing seven years ago.
He was jailed for four years in July 2003 at Croydon Crown Court after being convicted of possession with intent to supply crack cocaine.
After Allen’s latest sentencing, Det Chief Insp Chris Smart, head of Bromley Police’s CID, said: “Allen now has a long time to consider the devastating effects that illegal drugs and drug dealers have on our community.”
n Have drugs affected your family? E-mail eveningstar email@example.com or write to Star Letters, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN.