Earlier access to Witham station needed says MP Priti Patel
- Credit: Su Anderson
Calls have been made for the rear access to Witham’s railway station to be unlocked earlier each morning.
Concerns had been raised by commuters that the entrance was not opened in time for passengers to catch the first train of the day.
Town MP Priti Patel has raised the issue with Jamie Burles, managing director of rail operator Abellio Greater Anglia, after being contacted by a number of constituents.
Ms Patel said: “It is extremely frustrating that despite attempts to rectify this problem staff at Witham station continue to overlook unlocking the gate until it is too late for passengers to catch the train.
“Abellio need to recognise the service they provide to passengers needs to improve drastically, it is not good enough that passengers paying high fares have been left in a predicament where they don’t know if they will be able to access the station with enough time to get on a train.”
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for Abellio Greater Anglia said: “Access to Witham station is available throughout the operation of services via the main entrance.
“We are looking to extend the hours of opening whereby passengers can also gain access via the rear entrance and will monitor this for a trial period, following customer comments.”
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 3 Jeffers set for Ipswich Town coaching role
- 4 'The honour of my life' - Chambers' message to Town fans after departure confirmed
- 6 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 7 Exit Interview: Farewell to Ipswich Town's most iconic player of the last decade
- 8 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 9 Delays continue on A12 after lorry rolls in crash
- 10 Murder accused storms out of witness box after admitting stabbing his ex