Ed Sheeran releases new Christmas song with Elton John
- Credit: PA
Suffolk superstar Ed Sheeran released a highly anticipated new song featuring Elton John yesterday - with the duo aiming for Christmas number 1.
The pair teamed up to create the song, titled ‘Merry Christmas’ after Sir Elton rang Sheeran last year telling him he wanted to release another festive hit song.
The song features sleigh bells, festive lyrics and a music video full with a cast of famous friends including Michael McIntyre and Jonathan Ross.
A video the ‘Shape of You’ singer posted on his Instagram earlier this week showed Sheeran arriving at Sir Elton's door, in a recreation of an iconic scene from Love Actually.
The two know what it takes to make a Christmas number one - Sheeran claimed the 2017 top spot with ‘Perfect’, while Sir Elton’s 1973 hit ‘Step Into Christmas’ has re-entered the top 10 for the past two years.
UK profits from Merry Christmas during this year’s festive period will go to Sheeran’s Suffolk Music Foundation and the Elton John Aids Foundation.
However the pair face stiff competition in their race for the top of the charts.
- 1 Glamping pods and shepherd huts proposed in holiday site expansion
- 2 Town reject bid for midfielder Fraser but no Matete move
- 3 Look inside 'immaculately presented' property with own bar and heated pool
- 4 Police apology after cars accidentally damaged by stinger device on A14
- 5 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 6 Ipswich Town sign Brentford full-back Thompson on loan
- 7 Ed Sheeran pays the most tax of any celebrity in the UK
- 8 Popular Sudbury bakery reveals aim to save town's post office
- 9 Suffolk entrepreneur Mike Lynch loses $5bn fraud case with Hewlett Packard
- 10 Parents’ fury as bouncy castle business leaves children in the lurch
A number of tracks from Adele's last album 30 continue to perform well weeks after release while blogger Mark Hoyle and his wife Roxanne, known as LadBaby, remain bookies favourites.
The duo have claimed the top spot for the last three years with their sausage roll-themed musical parodies but are yet to reveal any plans for this year.
Former Take That star Gary Barlow and Olivier-winning actress and singer Sheridan Smith have released a festive duet titled How Christmas Is Supposed To Be, accompanied by a video featuring them unwrapping presents and singing together around a white piano.
Abba are back with a 40th anniversary album and could be in the running, while an unlikely entrant in the race comes from Strictly Come Dancing judge Craig Revel Horwood and Strictly Live singer Rietta Austin.
Several others are also in the running.