Hazardous materials scare as 'suspicious package' found at delivery centre
- Credit: GOOGLE MAPS
A Suffolk Royal Mail delivery office was evacuated after someone was taken ill amid a hazardous materials scare.
Police, fire and the ambulance service were called to the incident just before 10am at the Beccles delivery office in Smallgate on Wednesday, January 27.
Three fire crews were sent to the incident, with nine more put on standby, after concerns were raised someone had breathed in a harmful substance from a suspicious package.
However, a spokesman for Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service said the patient is now thought to have had an allergic reaction after breathing in nut oil.
A spokesman for Suffolk Police said: "Police were called at approximately 9.55am following reports of a suspicious package at the Royal Mail delivery office in Smallgate, Beccles.
You may also want to watch:
"The package contained an unknown substance and has been declared non-suspicious.
"Emergency services attended the scene and a cordon was temporarily put in place. The building was initially evacuated by the Royal Mail as a safety precaution."
- 1 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 2 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 3 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-2 draw at Cambridge
- 4 2,000 patients visit A&E because they are feeling depressed
- 5 Town get home draw in FA Cup First Round as ex-Blues head to Sudbury
- 6 North Stander: Nowhere near good enough at this stage of the season
- 7 Jailed in Suffolk: J Block gang members and man who attacked train station staff
- 8 'There's something missing in this team' - Town fans on draw at Cambridge
- 9 Car stranded in ditch after crash near Bury St Edmunds
- 10 Woman sexually assaulted near Ipswich Waterfront
A spokesman for the ambulance service said: "A rapid response vehicle, ambulance and ambulance officer vehicle attended. Crews treated a male patient at the scene for a suspected allergic reaction before transporting him to James Paget Hospital for further assessment and care."