Emma Crowhurst: Sisters add spice to home cooking
- Credit: Archant
Emma Crowhurst finds out more about the sisters behind an East Anglian spice company
Nadia and Julia Latif are the co-founders of Our House of Spice, an Indian food company which specialises in frozen ready meals and spice packets using family recipes and cooking methods that are generations old. The sisters formed the company in 2012, and have seen the company grow from selling their products at small farmers markets, to having their produce sold in retail outlets.
Nadia and Julia have been surrounded by Indian food all of their lives and were taught from an early age that good food can bring people together. They saw this first hand when their mother used to make curries for friends and neighbours.
Since graduating in economics, Nadia moved into project management within the civil service. After 10 years she took voluntary redundancy with a change of career direction in mind.
After graduating with a degree in film, Julia went on to gain experience in customer relations/administration and retail. She then decided that she would utilise her skills and experience in another way. From this Our House was formed.
You may also want to watch:
The sisters would love to see the spice packets and ready meals grow. So far the products are available at:
• Burwash Manor nr Barton, Cambridgeshire
- 1 Ipswich Town lead the chase to sign Luton skipper Sonny Bradley
- 2 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 3 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
- 4 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 5 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 6 New rickshaw taxi service starts in town
- 7 Passenger falls off motorbike on A134
- 8 'Mass of smoke' billows from roof in house fire
- 9 Farm to use renovated rail carriages as holiday lets
- 10 Kesgrave shooting: Trial set to start as boy, 16, denies attempted murder
• Balzanos, Cherry Hinton Road, Cambridgeshire
• Best One, Histon, Cambridgeshire
• Shauns News, Cottenham, Cambridgeshire
The spice packets can also be purchased from their online shop at www.ourhouseofspice.com.
Ensuring that their traditional and authentic food is available to as many people as possible, one of their main goal is to have it sold through major retailers and supermarkets.
Currently they are working on their Christmas range of spice packets for gifts for friends and loved ones.