New escape room challenge could open in town centre
- Credit: Archant
Themed escape rooms could bring new life to vacant offices in Newmarket if fresh development proposals are approved.
Isaac Reed, who already runs Ipswich Escape Rooms and Cambridge Escape Rooms, wants to open Exit Rooms Limited in the basement of Godolphin House.
Two new 60-minute, real-life adventure games would open in the vacant offices, which have stood empty since 2017, if the development gets the green light from council planners.
MORE: How will lockdown come to an end in the UK?In an application to West Suffolk Council, Mr Reed said teams of up to six people will work together to find hidden clues and solve a series of challenging puzzles.
“Exit Rooms Limited is currently seeking to locate to Newmarket due to a high demand for activity in this area,” he wrote in a planning statement.
“This development will introduce a new leisure activity to the town of Newmarket, adding variety, vitality and viability to the town.”
MORE: 7 digital distractions for families in lockdownIf approved, there would be two themed rooms set up, plus a reception area.
You may also want to watch:
There would be two part-time jobs created initially.
Mr Reed set up Ipswich Escape Rooms in 2017, following the successful launch of the Cambridge branch.
- 1 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 2 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 3 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 4 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 5 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 6 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 7 Obsessed man thought barmaid was in love with him
- 8 Long-serving parish clerk resigns from council hit by flaring tensions
- 9 Woman dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 10 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
Popular rooms have included the Secret Clubhouse and the Search for the Holy Grail.
MORE: We took on the Ipswich Escape Rooms – here’s how we got onBoth facilities are currently closed until at least June 9 due to the coronavirus outbreak.
West Suffolk Council will have the final say on the Newmarket proposals.