Essex county councillor Stephen Canning denies assault claims
An Essex county councillor has hit out at reports he had been suspended from the Conservative Party following an alleged nightclub incident.
Stephen Canning, 25, who is also a Braintree district councillor, has vehemently denied allegations he assaulted a Tory MP’s aide at Maggie’s – an 80s-themed bar in west London.
Mr Canning said in a statement via Twitter that he has had “no allegations of assault” put to him by the Conservatives.
In the statement, Mr Canning, who is currently in Bosnia, said: “I will not discuss the reports in the Mail, as far as saying the following, I have had no allegations of assault put to me by the Conservative Party.
“I have not been involved in any incidents in nightclubs bar standing in front of a female activist who felt intimidated by a male.
You may also want to watch:
“I most certainly looking to launch or lead any new youth movements, my view remains that it is the party’s role.
“I deny in the strongest possible way anything of this sort ever taking place and look forward to continuing to serve the Conservatives as a councillor now entering his seventh year.”
- 1 A12 reopens after serious collision
- 2 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 3 'A rut had set in and it needed to change... we will have got one or two wrong' - Cook on his Ipswich Town squad cull
- 4 Our Ipswich Town predictions: Top scorer, best player, where they'll finish and more
- 5 Man who built outbuildings and lake without permission fined £1,300
- 6 Snape Maltings launches two new restaurants with far-reaching river views
- 7 'There won't be a better group of strikers in the league' - Jeffers on Town's firepower
- 8 Haverhill firm goes into liquidation with just £2.42 in the bank
- 9 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 10 Historic East Anglian sailing barge to become floating bakery