Essex county councillor Stephen Canning denies assault claims
An Essex county councillor has hit out at reports he had been suspended from the Conservative Party following an alleged nightclub incident.
Stephen Canning, 25, who is also a Braintree district councillor, has vehemently denied allegations he assaulted a Tory MP’s aide at Maggie’s – an 80s-themed bar in west London.
Mr Canning said in a statement via Twitter that he has had “no allegations of assault” put to him by the Conservatives.
In the statement, Mr Canning, who is currently in Bosnia, said: “I will not discuss the reports in the Mail, as far as saying the following, I have had no allegations of assault put to me by the Conservative Party.
“I have not been involved in any incidents in nightclubs bar standing in front of a female activist who felt intimidated by a male.
“I most certainly looking to launch or lead any new youth movements, my view remains that it is the party’s role.
“I deny in the strongest possible way anything of this sort ever taking place and look forward to continuing to serve the Conservatives as a councillor now entering his seventh year.”
- 1 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
- 2 Uproar as plans put in to turn Suffolk pub into vets
- 3 Burglar jailed for break-in at Stowmarket dental practice
- 4 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 5 Parish council concerned about plans for new A14 service station
- 6 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 7 Former Town defender McGreal returns to club in coaching role
- 8 Major west Suffolk road reopens after two vehicle crash
- 9 Friends speak of 'spiking' in market town and advise others: 'be careful'
- 10 Soldiers tested in drugs probe at Suffolk airbase